Welcome To Pilgrims and Pioneers!

After many years of researching my family geneaology I have been lucky enough to discover actual information about my relatives that lived in the Pilgrim Era and the Pioneer Era- while many people also have realtives from those eras- many do not know their names or where they lived- actually seeing the proof in print makes you much more aware of who they really were.
After discovering these relatives it of course made me curious to learn more about the eras that they lived in and what their lives were like as, the history I learned in grade school had long since been forgotten.
I decided to start this blog for others who are also interested in these eras.
Some of the information here will be actual facts about my realtives and some will be information about the eras in general that I have found on the web.
I hope you will enjoy traveling back in time with me!

Sunday, December 14, 2008

No Christmas for the Pilgrims

At least not as we know it.Since I have been researching my Pilgrim heritage I have often wondered what Christmas was like at Plimoth Colony for my 10th Great grandfather- I found this article written by a minister's at http://garlandsgrace.wordpress.com/ I was surprised by what I learned.
Though they came ashore on Christmas Day, it’s a little odd to talk about the Pilgrims at Christmas, since they did not celebrate Christmas, and they would have frowned on us for doing so. They would have gone to church, though, for they never missed Sabbath worship for any reason. In fact, Sabbath worship is the whole reason for their coming—their worship was the most important part of their lives, and they valued it above their lives.
They would not have complained about a long sermon, or a long drive, since they would have happily walked several miles in the cold or rain. They would not rush off to Christmas dinner; instead, they would sit and savor the Word of God in their hands. They would give a hearty “amen” to the sermon. They would wonder at the books of hymns and they would beg to sing yet another one. They would rejoice that they had a church building where they could meet openly without threats of imprisonment and they would weep with happiness that their children would not have to live in poverty, that they could receive an education, and that they could worship in freedom.
On Christmas Eve, remember the Pilgrims and their first night ashore. It was a beginning for them and for us. Think of them when you go to church, somber with gratitude for what they suffered for us, hopeful and determined to carry on their vision.
But keep the truth in puriety and walk in all humility take heed of pride & contention for that will bring distruction Seeke love & peace & unity and preserve faith, & sanctitie and God will blesse you with his Grace and bring you to his resting place. William Bradford

2 comments:

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Gracious, I'm all for reflection & simplicity, but I do enjoy our pretty and festive Christmases! I don't think I would have enjoyed the Pilgrim Christmases! I knew the pilgrims were austere, but your post was very educational about just how somber they were! But they were closer to the true meaning of Christmas, that is for sure.

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

I think that we could take bits and pieces of a pilgrim Christmas and apply it to ours. At least the part about really focusing on what it means. I do enjoy our type of Christmas celebrations though, as long as we remember God's gift to us, Jesus the Savior.

Prairie Wild Morning Glory

Prairie  Wild Morning Glory

Prairie Phlox

Prairie Phlox

Prairie Sundrops

Prairie Sundrops

The Famous Rock!

The Famous Rock!
Plymouth Rock dated 1620

Plimoth Plantation

Plimoth Plantation
The Village

Plimoth Plantation

Plimoth Plantation
A Keeping Room