Welcome To Pilgrims and Pioneers!

After many years of researching my family geneaology I have been lucky enough to discover actual information about my relatives that lived in the Pilgrim Era and the Pioneer Era- while many people also have realtives from those eras- many do not know their names or where they lived- actually seeing the proof in print makes you much more aware of who they really were.
After discovering these relatives it of course made me curious to learn more about the eras that they lived in and what their lives were like as, the history I learned in grade school had long since been forgotten.
I decided to start this blog for others who are also interested in these eras.
Some of the information here will be actual facts about my realtives and some will be information about the eras in general that I have found on the web.
I hope you will enjoy traveling back in time with me!

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Sarah Jones Dow> Zilla Dow Shere> Temple Shere Pierceson


Following down my genealogy path I have posted about my great grandmothers from several generations past- Hannah Bumpass- Eunice Bump- Mourning Lewis- Anne Dickerson- Sarah Ellen Jones Dow.

This post will be about my paternal grandmother Temple Musset Shere who descended from this long line of Pilgrim and Pioneer women.

She was born in 1897 in Yorktown, Illinois- a tiny settlement that was cofounded by her great grandfather Whitcher Dow along with her grandfather Benjamin Franklin Dow and the McKenzie family.

Her mother was Zilla Dow and her father was Will Shere. Will Shere had been married before to a woman named Charity Wilsey and had 4 children with her. Charity died of consumption in Yorktown and later Will Shere remarried Zilla Dow and to them were born two children- my grandmother Temple and her brother Harry Boyd Shere. This created a fairly large family and my grandmother was just a few years old when her oldest half brother Clarence emigrated to Drinkwater, Saskatchewan, Canada with his family.

My grand mother married Arthur Pierceson- a man of direct Swedish descent( his parents having come from Kristianstad, Sweden in 1881).

She and my grand father Arthur had one child- my dad Glenn Pierceson.

Arthur passed away when my father was just 3 years old. Four years later my grand mother married Arthur's brother John and with him had three more children- 2 boys and a girl.

The girl being Janice- my aunt whose garden is pictured in a previous post.

My grandma Temple passed away in 1957 when I was 4 years old - she died from injuries sustained in an auto accident. She was 60 year old.

I do not remember much about her- just the fact that she was very tall and oh so kind.

So it was with awe and amazement when my Aunt janice started sharing photos with me that I saw my grandmother was once a young woman also- she had not always been my Grandma- something I think we all forget!

My grandma true to her Pilgrim & Pioneer roots quilted, needlepunched, embroidered, and wove her own rugs- in fact her rug loom sits in my Aunt Janice's garage and is used to weave rugs by her and her daughter Suzie- they too are carrying on our Pilgrim & Pioneer heritage!



5 comments:

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Your blog is so neat I visit everyday and what I like about it is that I always learn something. Keep up the great work I so enjoy it!

Rondell
P.S. I'm going to try the potpourri recipe soon.

Debra said...

Thank you so much Rondell! I am so glad you are enjoying and learning from my blog! I will try to keep posting intersting things and useful items as well! BTW I visit you blog a lot too! Love it!

NeNe said...

Thanks so much for sharing your grandmother. I love genealogy and spend endless hours on it. I love your blog!

Dogpatch Primitives said...

oh Deb, there is just nothing like the old treasured photos of our family, is there?
I am really enjoying reading about your family, and the pics of your Aunt's garden and such are wonderful!
Thanky uo for sharing w/ us!

Debra said...

Thanks NeNe and Dog Patch Primitives for your kind words about my blog!
So glad you are enjoying it!

Prairie Wild Morning Glory

Prairie  Wild Morning Glory

Prairie Phlox

Prairie Phlox

Prairie Sundrops

Prairie Sundrops

The Famous Rock!

The Famous Rock!
Plymouth Rock dated 1620

Plimoth Plantation

Plimoth Plantation
The Village

Plimoth Plantation

Plimoth Plantation
A Keeping Room