Welcome To Pilgrims and Pioneers!

After many years of researching my family geneaology I have been lucky enough to discover actual information about my relatives that lived in the Pilgrim Era and the Pioneer Era- while many people also have realtives from those eras- many do not know their names or where they lived- actually seeing the proof in print makes you much more aware of who they really were.
After discovering these relatives it of course made me curious to learn more about the eras that they lived in and what their lives were like as, the history I learned in grade school had long since been forgotten.
I decided to start this blog for others who are also interested in these eras.
Some of the information here will be actual facts about my realtives and some will be information about the eras in general that I have found on the web.
I hope you will enjoy traveling back in time with me!

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Bed Warmers


A bed warmer was a common household item in cold countries, especially Northern Europe. It consisted of a metal container, usually fitted with a handle and shaped somewhat like a modern frying pan, with a solid or finely perforated lid. The pan would be filled with hot coals and placed under the covers of a bed, to warm it up and/or dry it out before use.
After the invention of rubber, the classical bed warmer was largely supplanted by the hot water bottle, which is still widely used. In the late 20th century, electric blankets and then the electric bed warmer were invented to fulfill the same need.
If I am not mistaken bedwarmers like the ones pictured were also used durin the Pilgrim & Pioneer Eras also.

2 comments:

~SkullBlossom~ said...

It's a mercy there weren't more fires when those were used! But in cold climates I would think they were truly needed in the olden days. My mother spoke of bricks warmed atop stoves and then wrapped in a piece of rag or quilt and placed underneath the covers at the foot of the bed!

Debra said...

You are so right about the fires!
I had not heard about the bricks!

Prairie Wild Morning Glory

Prairie  Wild Morning Glory

Prairie Phlox

Prairie Phlox

Prairie Sundrops

Prairie Sundrops

The Famous Rock!

The Famous Rock!
Plymouth Rock dated 1620

Plimoth Plantation

Plimoth Plantation
The Village

Plimoth Plantation

Plimoth Plantation
A Keeping Room