Welcome To Pilgrims and Pioneers!

After many years of researching my family geneaology I have been lucky enough to discover actual information about my relatives that lived in the Pilgrim Era and the Pioneer Era- while many people also have realtives from those eras- many do not know their names or where they lived- actually seeing the proof in print makes you much more aware of who they really were.
After discovering these relatives it of course made me curious to learn more about the eras that they lived in and what their lives were like as, the history I learned in grade school had long since been forgotten.
I decided to start this blog for others who are also interested in these eras.
Some of the information here will be actual facts about my realtives and some will be information about the eras in general that I have found on the web.
I hope you will enjoy traveling back in time with me!

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Great Great Grandma Sarah Ellen Jones Dow


My Great Great Great grandmother Sarah Ellen Jones was born in 1838 in McDonough Co. Il to Parmenus Jones and Anne Dickerson. She came to Whiteside Co. Il when she was 14 years old, by covered wagon to live with her aunt Nancy Foy. I am assuming she was sent to live with her aunt because her mother had moved to Oklahoma in Indian Territory.

Sarah Ellen married Benjamin Franklin Dow and settled down in Yorktown to raise a family. To them 4 children were born- Pleasant Luther Dow, Lauer Dow, Zilla Adelle Dow ( my great great grandmother) and Glee Dow ( a son that died in infancy).

As a young wife and mother Sarah had to make tallow candles, homemade soap, quilts, and weave her own rugs all out of necessity. Store bought items were not readily available to her and she probably would have not had the money to buy them even if they were.

In her later years the family moved about 5 miles north to the town of Tampico, Il.

I am not sure of the date but I do know that Sarah Ellen was the owner of a sawmill in the state of Michigan and I have reason to believe that my grandmother Temple met my Grand father Arthur Pierceson( an employee of Sarah's at the sawmill) while visiting her grandmother Sarah at her sawmill.

About a year before she died at the age of 93 she was interviewed by the local newspaper The Tampico Tornado. During this interview she stated that when she left McDonough Co. there were no Indians but when she got to Whiteside Co. there were still Indians in the woods.
The photo on the right was taken in approximately 1897- Benjamin & Sarah Dow are the older couple seated - Sarah is the closest to the two small girls.
My great grandmother Zilla is the woman in the dark clothing( standing).


No comments:

Prairie Wild Morning Glory

Prairie  Wild Morning Glory

Prairie Phlox

Prairie Phlox

Prairie Sundrops

Prairie Sundrops

The Famous Rock!

The Famous Rock!
Plymouth Rock dated 1620

Plimoth Plantation

Plimoth Plantation
The Village

Plimoth Plantation

Plimoth Plantation
A Keeping Room